Do you experience?
- Pain and stiffness above the back of the heel and lower leg in the morning
- Pain after running, jumping, stair climbing and sprinting
- Severe pain the day after exercising
- Swelling around the area that gets worse with activity
Do you have?
- Tight calf or hamstring muscles
- Bony spur on the back of the heel
- Very flat or very high arched feet
- Poor footwear for daily use or during exercise
Steps to take:
- Ice the area to help reduce inflammation and tightness in the Achilles tendon, calf and heel.
- Stretch the calf muscle before and after exercise in order to prevent stiffness and maintain flexibility.
- Avoid regular high impact training in order to provide the inflamed area some rest.
- Strengthen the calf muscle so that the calf and Achilles can better handle the stress of exercise.
- Consider more supportive footwear for activity and daily use.
- Consider custom orthotics, massage and physiotherapy.